Thursday, January 5, 2012

Banana Bread Pancakes Shortcut

I absolutely love banana bread, so when I saw this recipe I decided that I was going to make these. I started reading through the recipe and that little "wah wah" sound went off in my head. The idea of flour of any sort and baking powder being accurately measured in my kitchen the first thing in the morning was....well, laughable.

Here is the link to the real recipe. I am sure that it probably tasted even better then mine. After all, she took the time to make it from scratch. From scratch always seems to be better...always.

Banana Bread Pancakes complete recipe

Didn't she have a lovely presentation. Now for my sleepy head version:

I started off with this....


3 cups    Krusteaz Wheat & Honey Pancake Mix
Add water until reaches your favorite consistency
1/4 cup  brown sugar
1    tsp   cinnamon
1/4 tsp   nutmeg
1    Tbs  vanilla extract
3    lrg ripe bananas, smashed

Mix it all together in one bowl. (I didn't really measure my cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. I just sprinkled some in until it looked "good".)

I made the syrup exactly like her recipe, with one exception. I heated it up in the microwave because my maple syrup is cold and thick and didn't want to blend with the powdered sugar.  It didn't turn into a glaze like hers did.

Here's what I got...               

Tasty Pancakes

  There are a couple of things that I would change the next time I make them:

1.   Make sure my bananas are overripe just like I do with banana bread, you know when the skin gets all black. It just adds so much more banana flavor.

2. Since I absolutely do not like the taste of powdered sugar, I will simply not make the glaze again. Maybe since I heated it in the microwave it didn't "glaze".  Anyway,  I couldn't see a reason to add more sugar to a completely sugary base, especially when that ingredient doesn't really have a pleasing taste.

These pancakes are a nice change to the same ole' pancakes. I will definitely be making them again. 




2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds Yummy

Kristenea said...

I LOVE banana pancakes. I like to use the bananas when they are VERY ripe as you said...they have a much stronger banana taste.

We eat them with Peanut butter and maple syrup, which sounds like a strange combination, but I think it's yummy!

God Bless you over there in Idaho!

Post a Comment